Missionary thoughts

Hey, my name is Elder white, i'm a missionary for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints. I love serving the lord in the New York Rochester Mission! I'm a writer, a martial artist, a physics, chemistry, and computer science major; and I just love to learn new things! These are the questions of mine, and i'm sure many other people' souls.







Friday, November 4, 2011

Lessons learned from a good friend, and fellow missionary; sister vaterlaus!

So; as many missionaries may know, one of our beloved sisters, sister vaterlaus is going home. I thought I would write in honor of her, and the lessons I have learned from her. I think one of my fondest memories, is back when I was still quite a young and tender missionary. I was serving with one of the top 3 most patient elders in the world; he did a lot for me. Now, for people who know me, i'm not really that great with social interactions of any kind; Sometimes I walk away from the whole conversation I just had with someone, going, wow, you are a complete an utter idiot. Not to mention, there are a lot of thoughts, and ideas that fly about the mission about me, that may or may not be truthful; but they make it less then ideal to associate with me at all! Like i'm talking, you talk to me; it sounds like you should probably be shunned! No, i'm just kidding, but it is really hard to talk to me. Because even the things that are true, make it less then pleasent to talk to me. I'm not denying that. I'm working on it, I haven't discovered the secret, or formula to talking to people about situations.

Well, so any way, one day; we're at a kick ball game in honor of all the leaving missionaries. I've ofcourse was being my typical self, trying to be goofy, and funny, and most people probably just thought I was being annoying. But, someone told sister vaterlaus that I knew martial arts, infact, I think it was our very own Elder Nevil that told her that. But either way, she actually asked me to show her some martial arts. Which I did, which was different for me, because most people when they hear I do martial arts, typically think that either that means they should be intmidated, or that I want them to feel uncomfortable around me. That is not true at all! I love people, i'm just really, horribly, nerdy, and socially akward! But any way, so back to the story, she actually started a conversation with me about my skills, then latter after all that, she actually showed me one of her talents; YOGA! I mean, this is the first person, aside from the people that know me rather closely, that has been willing to talk to me, or even try to get to know me. I was astounded at her courage in talking to me, one of, atleast I consider myself, to be one of the most illapproachable missnionaries in this mission.


Then at a later time, we were taking some investigators up to see the sites, I was with a different companion at that time, he's awsome! But, while there, I guess, she got it into her head that she had offended me up there or something. Now, most missionaries would naturally decide that its not worth their time, that they should just ignore the offended, or wounded person and walk away! But low and behold, the next day, when she had time, she went throught he trouble to write me a text, appologizing for what she thought she had done! I was astounded at how, loving, and kind this young woman really was! I learned alot from her, I really have; I learned not only is it ok to talk to people that you think may be a pain in the butt, but also that you should always be willing to swallow your vain and selfish pride, and just appologize to someone, even if you think they're a total bonehead and that they deserve a rebuking and not an appology! I mean, when you go into a situation to appologize, sometimes, i've been guilty of this too, but sometimes we go in there; with the thought that this person is upset because they lack the understanding, and that in reality, they realy just need us to teach them of our ways, and convince them that you are right and they are wrong! I've done that, and, it almost never works out! If you go in there with that attitude, of, they can learn something from me, you usually go in and make the wound bigger; sometimes even foolishly reopening a wound that had healed on its own. But this sister, made it aboslutely clear, that she was sorry if she had offended me, and that she was not expecting me to learn something from her, but she was "On the errand of angels" and was going to "Bind up the broken hearted"! She took the time to bind up the broken hear that I might of had! But, rather then going in there with accusations, or sharp rebukes for some way that I could have been stupid; she said that "She was sorry if she was mean". The impression left upon my heart, was so deep, that I actually started doing it with my companion; and you know something? It actually works! It actually makes you feel 100% better, even if you don't consider it to be your fault, you appologize, and then you explain why you did it, and how you felt; I learned that, if you just go in there with no other object then to bind up their broken heart, then you will accomplish the goal! rarely if ever should you go in with the idea of, I will rebuke them, and they will learn wisdom from me! She has taught me so much, and as I've applied it, i've become a better missionary for it. Sister vaterlaus, we love you, and we think your the greatest! Hey, and thanks for all you've taught me, I have learned to become a greater missionary then I ever would have had I not met you!

We'll miss you here in the New York Rochester Mission, but you go home and be as great of a missionary as you can be, and like we all know that you are capable of being! I say these things, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Elder White, I am so thankful for being able to serve with you. You taught me ALOT and so I thank you. I will miss serving here, but I know its part of God's plan. This was very kind of you. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete